Brew Review: Nespresso Hawaii Kona Special Reserve & Nespresso On Ice

Good morning coffee lovers! I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. Today I will be reviewing three limited edition coffees from Nespresso.

I have had my Nespresso coffee maker for about two years now and I am still happy with it. I especially like that Nespresso releases limited edition coffees throughout the year. This summer, just like last year, they released two limited edition flavors meant to be consumed iced, as well as their Hawaii Kona special reserve.  While the iced coffee capsules are available to order online, the Hawaii Kona special reserve is only available at a Nespresso boutique, which I found a little disappointing.  There aren't too many boutiques in the L.A. area and driving in L.A. traffic is never fun.  Nonetheless, I trekked over to the closest boutique this past weekend and picked up both the iced coffee capsules and the Hawaii Kona special reserve.

First up is the Hawaii Kona special reserve.  Now let me preface this by saying, I have no issue paying a little more for good coffee. But I couldn't believe the price on this.  When the cashier rang me up, I thought he had made a mistake and overcharged me.  Capsules come in sleeves of 10 and are normally around $8-$10 per sleeve.  The Kona special reserve was double!  It is $2 per capsule so the sleeve came to $20.  Yikes.  In terms of taste, it's very rich (it reminded me a bit of Turkish coffee), but I wasn't blown away by it. For the price, I was expecting rainbows and unicorns to appear. Verdict:  Pass.



Next up is the first of the two iced coffees:

Ispirazione Shakerato:  This was my favorite of the three flavors I purchased.  You make it over ice, shake it, and serve it.  I added a little bit of raw brown sugar and cream to mine, and it was prefect.  It didn't taste watered down and had a strong coffee flavor, which I love.  Verdict:  Purchase!

The second iced coffee was also good, but wasn't as strong (it's a lot more subtle).  It's the Ispirazione Salentina and Nespresso recommends having it with almond milk.  I'm allergic to almonds so that was a no-go for me.  I had it with coconut milk instead and added a little bit of raw brown sugar.  For those who don't like a strong coffee flavor, this one is for you.  I, however, wasn't blown away by it.  Verdict:  Pass.



That concludes my review for the week. Next week, I will be reviewing Trader Joe's 100% Arabica Coffee Cold Brew Coffee Bags, so come back for that. :)

Have a great day!

Jasmin

No comments

Thank you for reading and for your comment! Have a wonderful day!