Review: Trader Joe's Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Happy Tuesday!

Today, I am posting about one of my favorite foods (pizza) but with a twist: I am reviewing Trader Joe's cauliflower pizza crust. I had been curious to try this since it first launched last year, but it was so popular that Trader Joe's was always sold out of it. I finally found the item last week while shopping and was super excited to try it, so I thought I would review it on here for those who are curious.


Nutritionally speaking, the crust has less carbs than a traditional dough crust and is less caloric. Here is the nutrition info for those interested. It is meant to be cut into 6 slides, so the info below is per slice. Not too shabby.


The crust comes frozen and is supposed to remain frozen until you use it (do not thaw it). You place the frozen crust on a baking sheet and bake for 450 degrees F for about 15 minutes. Then you flip the crust and bake the other side for the same amount of time. This is where I ran into some trouble: I could not flip the crust without breaking it. I even tried using two spatulas with no luck. Here is the before pic and after pic of my sad, broken crust. If anyone has a trick or secret to flipping this, let me know in the comments section below. But I pieced it back together and forged on with the toppings.

 


Once you bake the crust, the rest is easy: spread the sauce of your choice, add the cheese, and finally the toppings. I like lots of veggies on my pizza, hence the pile.



You then place the pizza back in the oven on the broil setting and leave it in there for a few minuets (or longer if you like your pizza crust crispy).

The entire process was very easy. Here is my finished pizza and a slice to show you the thickness of the crust.



Now onto the important question: taste. In terms of taste, it was quite good. I likened the crust to polenta for some reason and really liked it. I would definitely buy this again.  In summary:

Pros
-Comes frozen so you can keep it in your freezer for days you want to quickly make a pizza.
-Cost: only $3.99!
-Crust is thin and you are saving some carbs with this.
-Bakes quicklythe whole process took about 30 minutes, minus chopping all the veggies-- that took the most time.
-Taste: quite good!

Cons
-Size: If you are feeding a family of 3 or more, one pizza is not enough. This pizza is meant for one person (if super hungry) or can be split.
-Availability: It's often sold out at Trader Joe's and can be hard to find.
-Breaks apart when flipping. I think next time, I will forgo flipping the crust.

Jasmin

No comments

Thank you for reading and for your comment! Have a wonderful day!