Smoothies

I love having a smoothie in the morning for breakfast-- it keeps me full until lunch and it's a great source of protein, since I never seem to have enough protein in my diet. The protein brand I use (see below) provides about 24 grams of protein, which is almost similar to the protein content in a chicken breast. A smoothie is also a great snack to have after a grueling workout at the gym. The gym I go to actually recommends having a smoothie within 20 minutes of working out in order to refuel and repair muscle. I always order the one called “Java Jolt” from my gym, and it’s always delicious (plus it gives me something to look forward to after working out).

Below is my attempt at creating something similar (but I had to add peanut butter in there because, well, peanut butter makes everything better, right?). Peanut butter is also another healthy source of protein, as long as you stick to getting the natural peanut butter (the one that has the oil separating at the top that you have to stir) instead of the one that doesn’t require refrigeration (read: icky preservatives).

  • 1/2 banana (frozen bananas work well too.)
  • 1 cup chocolate almond milk (I like Almond Breeze brand, but make sure you get the unsweetened one so this recipe stays healthy.)
  • 1 tbsp natural peanut butter (If you want something with a little bit less fat, you can also use PB2, which is peanut butter in a powder form that has a lot less fat and calories. You can find it here.)
  • 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder (I use Gold Standard 100% Whey in Double Rich Chocolate. It is the best tasting one I have tried and doesn't taste chalky like some other protein powers tend to be.)
  • 1 tsp whole bean coffee or ground coffee (If you're feeling especially bold, try putting in some cold brew coffee extract instead. I like the Trader Joe's cold brew concentrate, but go easy with the stuff, since it's strong. I would add a quarter cup max).
  • 1/2 cup ice
 Add all ingredients in a blender and blend until smoothie.

Enjoy!


Jasmin

2 comments

  1. What an amazingly cute blog you have, it looks fantastic and this is a great post as well <3 You certainly gained a follower in me!

    Lea x

    http://shebeginstosee.blogspot.com - - check out my blog and follow me back if you like it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for following! I will check out your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and for your comment! Have a wonderful day!